Sunday, July 3, 2011

At the touch of love everyone becomes a poet.

Oh, wow. Where do I even start with this blog entry?

First & foremost, I am finally a married woman!

As long as TJ and I have been together, it’s still weird for us to call each other husband/wife. There have been a few instances where I had to stop myself from calling him my ‘fiancĂ©.’ I think ‘husband’ is such a grown up sounding word though, isn’t it? I don’t consider TJ or myself grown ups at all, to be honest. Yes, we have grown up responsibilities but I just don’t feel like a grown up! I think I just may refuse to ever ‘grow up’, especially if it means becoming boring, monotonous and bland! BUT, I will save that rant for another day. I’m here to talk about the wedding.

Everything about our day was amazing, special and perfect. I honestly didn’t know what to expect when I woke up the morning of the wedding as we had not yet decided where to hold the wedding ceremony! After the weather man jumped back and forth between “90% chance of showers” to “partly cloudy” for our wedding day the entire week of our wedding, we knew the weather on our big day was going to be hit or miss! When I opened the curtains of my hotel room on the morning of the wedding, it was partly sunny and partly cloudy but the weather man called for thunderstorms in the afternoon, so we mutually decided to move the ceremony indoors to our back-up location which was the local theatre.

The one thing that was really special about both of the indoor and outdoor ceremony locations we had picked is that we visited both of them on the night TJ asked me to be his girlfriend. That night, one of our first dates when we were alone, we went to the movie at the Orpheum Theatre and saw Mission Impossible III. After the movie, we went for a walk through Royal Heights Park (after we got pulled over by the police because TJ’s work van was too loud to be driving on the streets so we had to go park and go for a walk).

The wedding morning went smoothly. Much more smoothly than I expected even though I broke my dress twice before our wedding coordinator (who I owe my life too, I swear) literally sewed me into it! Thanks Melanie!  But other than that, things were perfect. My hair turned out awesome. My cousin Brandi came and did my make-up and was even applying it to me during the dress debacle. My bridesmaids look gorgeous. Our daughter was an absolute doll. It was just a dream come true.

I promised myself I wouldn’t cry walking down the aisle. I didn’t want to be one of “those girls. “ But, as soon as I stepped foot into the theatre, heard my song start and saw TJ up on the stage, the waterworks turned on. Part of the tears was just because of all of the planning that went into the wedding and my disbelief that it was actually happening! The other reason I cried was just all that we’ve been through to get us to the point in life where we were actually finally able to get married. It was just overwhelming!

I calmed down by the time I reached the stage because I needed to concentrate on walking up the stairs without falling flat on my face. I also forced myself to hold back some tears because I didn’t want people to have pictures of me walking down the aisle with my ugly cry face. Some women cry gracefully. Not me. I’m one of those people whose faces wrinkle up unapologetically and I end up looking like a newborn baby and just all around repulsive. I haven’t seen any photos of me walking down the aisle yet mid-cry so I hope any creepy ones won’t start circulating anywhere ;)

The ceremony itself went fast. It was filled with lots of eye contact between TJ & myself. We had a whole conversation with each other up on stage without once opening our mouths. It went something like: “I’m so nervous! I hope I don’t mess up the vows. I can’t believe we’re finally here! You look so handsome/beautiful. I love you.” And, honestly, I think our secret conversation is one of the things that is going to stick out most to me about our ceremony. Yes, the vows were sweet but we didn’t write them. Yes, I loved the reading that TJ’s sister read but it was so hard to concentrate on the meaning of the words at that moment. But while everyone else was listening to our marriage commissioner go through the ceremony, TJ and I had our own private moment without anyone else really noticing or knowing and it was just really special.

Another special moment was during the beginning of the ceremony when Melina was trying to give TJ her parasol to hold and then exclaimed “I GOT TO GO PEE! I GOT TO GO PEE!” It really enhanced the romantic moment. ;) But in all seriousness, it was super cute and I’m so proud of her for doing as awesome as she did on the wedding day!

So ends this first wedding day recap! Look for the next one in the coming week!

No comments:

Post a Comment