Saturday, June 18, 2011

Thinking will not overcome fear, but action will

You know how sometimes people complain about how they think they were meant to live in a different decade? The 30's because of their love for big band music or others who thought they were meant to live through the first Woodstock because of their love of music/drugs ;)?

I think I can safely say that I was born in the right decade.

Sometimes I wish that I had been born earlier so I could have experienced things that I can only now read now and experience life as it was for my grandparents but I’m glad I was born in the late 80’s and here’s why.

Technology.

I love it. It has opened a world of possibilities for me. But, let’s be honest, I hate it somedays too, like when we were trying to print off our wedding invitations on our home printer and the printer kept dying out on us. We literally stole (ok, borrowed) computers from my fiance’s family members so we could finish the job. Three printers later, the invites were successfully (for the most part) printed. But it was a huge pain.

I love technology because I have met some of the most important people in my life via the internet.

My fiancĂ© & I met via a website called Teen Matchmaker. Doesn’t that just sound like a haven for serial murderers and stalkers? Although we grew up in towns only an hour apart from each other, it took us four years of chatting online to actually meet face-to-face.

One of my favourite stories to tell about us happened before we even met face-to-face. It had been a while since I talked to him last on MSN or had even received an e-mail from him. He was living in Brandon at the time. One day, I randomly thought of him and told myself when I got home from work that night I would write him an e-mail. It ended up being a rather slow night at work so I was let go a half hour into my shift. When I got home, I checked my e-mails and, lo and behold, I had received one from him telling me how he was thinking about how long it’s been since we had talked, etc, etc. Call me cheesy but that blew my mind that we had gone months without communicating and on the exact day I told myself I’d contact him again, he beat me to it!

Anyway, I got a little off topic here. So back to the internet.

Without the internet, I would not have met my fiancĂ©. I’m scared of the person I would have become had he not become part of my life.

Another important person in my life is a girl I have known since I was just a young pup in high school named Emily. We met online via a blogging community when we started following one another’s journals. Some way or another, we began talked on MSN and then eventually exchanged cell phone numbers at which point our relationship became mostly based on text messages exchanged all day, every day. Emily knows more about me and my life than anybody else in the world. She has been there for me since TJ and I began talking on the computer. She’s watched our relationship grow and has seen me through some of the bad times in my life! We even call each other 'twins' because of all the ridiculous things we have in common with one another. It seriously gets freaky sometimes. I've never instantly clicked with someone like I did with Emily!

The only downside to our friendship is that she lives in across the country in Toronto. But, after years and years of friendship, laughter, and support shared primarily via text messages, we finally met face-to-face in March. I randomly made the decision to go visit her by basically invited myself to her house (sorry about that, by the way!) but she welcomed me with open arms.

Some people might think I’m stupid and irresponsible for meeting someone I don’t know in a huge city I have never been to before but it was an adventure for me and I haven’t looked back! I encountered many ‘firsts’ while on my short visit to Toronto (taking public transportation, for example) and Emily and boyfriend got some kicks out of the small town girl who doesn’t know how to stand on the subway without falling over.

We have plans to meet again someday, sooner rather than later. But this time, she's coming to visit me. What kind of trouble could these twins get into in small town Saskatchewan? Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment